Time marches on

Let's just pretend it hasn't been almost three years since my last blog. I can't even tell you why it's been that long because I can't believe it's been that long. We've moved three more times, which is ridiculous. Moving is the pits. We moved from the Fannin house to the 17th Street house after only living there a year. I missed the Fannin house because of it's proximity to the school and it's coziness. My favorite thing about the 17th Street house was the huge live oaks that lined our street (and being close to the track so I could run back when I used to run). Then spring time came and those beautiful trees dumped thousands of leaves in our yard. Raking and bagging leaves is also the pits. After that house we moved out in the country to my favorite house. I could have been happy to live in that house for the rest of my life. The house was great, but the sunrise view from my front porch took my breath away every morning. That view was stunning. Our neighbors were amazing, and our landlords were (and still are) our friends. From there we moved into our current abode, which is our 34 foot travel trailer in my inlaws' back yard. We've been here for 9 months and we've paid off all of our debt except student loans, our van, and our travel trailer. (Yay!) You would think I'd be miserable living in such a small space with four other people and a dog, but I'm happy as a lark. I never want to live in a big house again. It's my dream to build around a 1000 square foot house. I think I could go smaller if it was designed correctly, but Nick says no smaller than that. I have come to realize that all I basically miss is a full size refrigerator, counter space, a bigger hot water heater, and a washer and dryer. I do not miss cleaning for hours. Now it just takes  me about an hour to clean! (Bonus!)

We're still homeschooling. That's a question I get a lot. This is my ninth year! I'm one year away from having a High Schooler. Then I'll really have to start taking this thing seriously. Ha! This was my first year I have felt some pressure to teach Seth too. After all, he's in Kindergarten now. He should be reading, doing simple math equations, and writing sentences by now. Good thing I don't get caught up in that anymore because I would be one stressed out mama. Children are different, y'all. Teaching three different grade levels is hard, y'all. I feel like a failure on a daily basis, y'all. I'm going to quit saying y'all now. I'm sorry but I get used to repeating myself on a daily basis. Sometimes I forget I'm talking to adults. This has been my most difficult year in many ways and homeschooling  hasn't been any different. I'll just be honest. We're not as far along as I would like, and even though there are several legitimate excuses why, I won't bore you with them all. That's one reason why we've decided to school through August then take September and October off. (I'll be sure to let you know how that goes.) Flexibility. It's a wonderful thing.

So that is the last three years in a nutshell. I need to update my profile because the kiddos have grown so much and  Nick is no longer a teacher and a coach. He is now back at it with the family cabinet business and we're on staff at our church helping out in any way we can. We've seen joy and pain since I last wrote, but one thing is for sure, time stands still for no one. I have a TEENAGER now! I've experienced loss more times than I wanted to. Life is just so different today than it was a year, 5 years, 15 years ago. I have regrets. I miss how things used to be. That part of getting older isn't fun, but I'm learning to be grateful for each moment. I'm trying to remember to hold close those who are dear to me and count my blessings instead of rush through my days like I'm guaranteed another...because we're not.

"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." James 4:14

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." Matthew 6:19

Comments

Popular Posts