A New Look for the New School Year

I'm up to my elbows in preparing for the new school year! Lessons are mostly planned, supplies have been purchased or are on a very organized list to be purchased soon, schedule is scheduled, and as of this morning our poster board has been re-done. I used it for circle time last year, but this year I'm using it more for me. The only thing I'm keeping from circle time is our pledges to the American flag, the Christian flag, and the Bible. We'll do those during our morning devotion before school everyday. Speaking of our morning devotion, if you're looking for a good devotion to do with your kids, I highly recommend Keys for Kids.

Last year's poster had the day of the year showcasing place value, the date and day of the week, making the date with money, our motto, Toby's scripture of the week,  number of the week, and color of the day. The clock was and still is placed on it with velcro so we can take it down for math or just display the time of an upcoming event if needed.

 2011-2012


2012-2013


This year's poster has a place for me to write my weekly chores (top left). It's covered with clear Contact paper so I can write on it with dry erase markers and erase each chore as it is completed. Under that is our motto. I borrowed from the Charlotte Mason philosophy of learning. It is "I am, I can, I ought, I will."

"I am a child of God, a gift to my parents and my country. I'm a person of great value because God made me. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. God has made me able to do everything that is required of me. I ought to do my duty to obey God, to submit to my parents and everyone in authority over me, to be of service to others, and to keep myself healthy with proper food and rest so my body is ready to serve. I will resolve to keep a watch over my thoughts and choose what's right even if it's not what I want."

Under our motto is our new logo featuring our new name, Arrow Academy. In the center is our schedule, and to the right of it Lorelai and Toby each have their own card where I will award them with smiley faces for each day they cooperate and keep a good attitude in school. In the picture Lorelai has five smiles and Toby has four for the number of days they will do school each week. I'm adding Friday mornings for Lorelai so she can review and finish any uncompleted assignments for the week because her work load is increasing quite a bit this year. At the end of the week they will receive a dollar for every smiley face they get. I'll use this to teach them to give, save, and spend their money. When I decide exactly how I'm going to do that I'll let you know. I've seen several ideas and am excited to make it our own. Lastly, in the bottom right corner is our scripture verse. "Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children's of one's youth." Psalm 127:4

I'm so happy with how everything is coming together. Next on my task list for this week is to make signs with the kid's names on them for their workboxes and finish planning lessons. VBS is next week and I get to make 100 sugar cookie stars and cut out 100 flags and blue squares for a Christian flag craft some time before then. My house is going to smell soooo good!   



Comments

  1. The reason you're making the cookies is 'cause I'd eat all 100 of them! This baby has me burning calories like crazy and craving sweets! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My weakness is the dough...and when they're fresh out of the oven:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts