Sabbath Rest//Part 3

I've covered why I feel I need rest and why the Bible says we need rest, so now I'm going to share what it looks like for our family. It has been almost two months since we began purposing for weekly rest in our family, that is resting, on purpose. I admit that the first month was easy, but once summer hit it got much more difficult. I thought life would slow down once the school year ended, but it seemed to accelerate! Of course, that may be because our school year hasn't ended!

So, we have purposed to rest on Sundays after church. I'm not going to get into a debate about what the true Sabbath day is because I personally don't think Jesus cares which day I observe His gift of rest to us. I may be wrong, and if I am then I am teachable. As of today, I think that my attempt at obedience is pleasing to God and that's all that matters to me. I feel like what Sabbath looks like to us will evolve over time, but we started with this plan.

Saturday-
We clean the house, plan our meals for the next day, plan for Sunday morning service, and lay out our church clothes. This ensures to the best of our ability that Sunday will begin with rest as we get ready for church in a clean house not searching frantically all over the house for what we need for church. With the meals planned, that ensures rest on my part. So far, we have done things like beans and sausage in the crock pot, enchilada casserole, cold cut trays, cereal and canned fruit with cottage cheese, roast, rotisserie chicken, and of course, yummy desserts that make the rest even sweeter.

Sunday-
After church we come home and eat a meal that has either been cooking in the crock pot or is easily prepared. We eat on paper plates if possible, but any dishes that may be dirtied are rinsed and put in the sink to be washed on Monday. Then, we just rest. We read, nap, play games, sit outside, snack, or visit family or friends. We try to keep it a screen-free day and connect as a family. I don't lesson plan, grade papers, work on church stuff, balance the checkbook, or anything that feels like work. I lay in bed or on the couch a lot. I listen to podcasts, praise and worship music, or read. I play games and do things with my children that they want to do. Sadly, that doesn't happen much during the week, so it is nice to take a day to be intentional and make fun, relaxing memories.

It's time to be honest. Out of the past month, we've probably followed those guidelines once. I feel like there is a learning curve (grace), as we are so used to being so busy. Ugh, that word makes me cringe. Maybe I'm being judgmental, but when someone says they're too busy it just means whatever has been asked of them is just not a priority. That isn't always a bad thing. Everyone has different priorities, but everyone is just so dadgum busy these days. What do the bloggers say here? I digress? Moving on...that's why it has to be on purpose. If I don't make it a point to prepare, Sunday comes before I realize it and the rest just doesn't happen. Then another week starts and I'm worn out before I even get started. I could list excuses, but the bottom line is that I can try again this week and every week God gives us. It reminds me of that Bible verse that says God's mercies are new every morning. We can keep trying, and God will be there to meet us every time.


Here's some snapshots of what our previous Sabbaths have looked like, back before summer hit.


Playing Jenga in a camper is not the best idea. This game didn't last long.

One of my favorite easy meals.

Restful and educational.

Throwing the football around with the boys.

Seth learned to ride his bike, so we took them to a park.

Having fun playing Chicken Foot with mom. 



Comments

Popular Posts