Another year gone by...

It seems like only a few weeks ago when I posted pictures of Toby's fourth birthday cake! I try to make cakes for my kiddos that represents something they've been really interested in that year. We got an iPad this year and Toby loves to play any sort of game on it, but he especially loves this Sonic the Hedgehog racing game. There for a while he looked forward to Saturday morning cartoons when Sonic came on, but thankfully he hasn't mentioned that in a while. (I don't really have anything against Sonic the Hedgehog. Some cartoons just get on my nerves and that is one of them. Spongebob Squarepants is another, so much so that it is not allowed on my TV.) I can, at least, tolerate Sonic...once a week. Anyway, this cake was fun. I struggled with the design for weeks because my cake making skills are pretty much non-existent. I needed something easy, but fun, to make. Here is my inspiration and below is my actual creation.




Toby loved it, which made my day. That's really all that matters. When we pulled up to the Bowling Alley it was sprinkling and he said, "I don't want my beautiful cake to get wet!" That made me smile. The cake was pretty fun to make. He helped me mix up the batter and Lorelai helped my roll all those little yellow fondant balls.




Josiah's cake was covered with edible Legos. They made them out of 
candy molds and they looked just like real Legos. It was so cute!


In case you are wondering, it is soooo easy to make a checkerboard cake. I got my directions here, but I didn't put frosting or jam in between the layers. I froze my cakes overnight so they wouldn't crumble and they were a breeze to cut and rearrange. I can't wait to make another one!


I loved the look on his face when he saw this Bat Cave he's been wanting. 


My nephew, Tucker, had a blast with the balloons.  

Comments

Popular Posts