Christmas Traditions: Part 1

I want my kids to grow up with a rich sense of family and with many fond memories to look back on when they are grown. I know those sort of things usually don't happen by chance. For example, I don't particularly feel like pulling out a board game to play with Toby after the kitchen is clean and my couch is saying, "Brandy, you've worked so hard today! Come relax on my cushions." And my feet and back are saying, "Give it a rest already! I'm tired and achy." I don't feel like having a tea party with Lorelai when the laundry is piling up by the second. I don't feel like getting Seth another snack when I'm in the middle of checking my e-mail. But I do it. (Most of the time) 


The Christmas season is the perfect time to create traditions that the kids will enjoy. We create memories and we get closer as a family. I had to sit down and think about what traditions I want to stick to as they grow up. I looked at different blogs and asked friends and family to get ideas. What we came up with are a few tried and tested traditions that have stuck in the Burns Family (and some we're trying out). 


It starts on the day after Thanksgiving when we put away all the Fall decorations and bring out the Christmas tree. I have stored different Fall and Christmas masterpieces the kids have created over the years that I decorate the house with as well. I love to see how their handwriting has changed and how their hands/feet have grown. Lorelai has really gotten into the ornaments and the story behind many of them. We turn on Christmas music and the kids place all the ornaments on the tree. 

We like to go see Christmas lights. This year we went to Christmas in the Park in College Station then swung by a house that coordinates their Christmas lights with a radio station. It's really neat. You pull up and turn your radio to the station posted in their yard, roll the windows down so the kids can hang half-way out the car, and watch the show. It's beautiful. We just love all the lights and the reminder of how Jesus is the light of the world. 

We celebrate Advent with a wreath on the table and nightly family devotions. Each candle we light is a symbol of the Christmas season and leads up to the birth of Jesus. I've always wanted to go caroling, and this year we got invited to do just that. I'm looking forward to it. Lorelai has already said she wants to do it every year from now on! 

On Christmas Eve, we get to light all the candles during our Advent devotion. I bake unleavened bread and pour some grape juice so we can share in Communion as a family. Then we read our favorite Christmas books and take turns praying for the families who sent us Christmas cards. This year we're also going to have a sleepover in the living room under the Christmas tree. We're going to drag a mattress or two into the living room, cook up some popcorn and some special treats, watch a Christmas movie or two, and fall asleep under the glow of the tree. It should be fun!

Then on Christmas Day we go to one of the Grandparent's houses and celebrate Jesus' Birthday with presents and cake, or this year cupcakes. Before all the hoopla, someone reads the Christmas story out of the book of Luke in the Bible so we all remember the real reason for the season. 

I have gone back and forth on the whole gift-giving thing. I've thought about cutting gifts out of Christmas all together, but I think it's a bit late for that. Instead, we remember the verse that says "whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me."(Matthew 25:40) So, we try to do something for someone in need as our gift to Jesus. It may sound corny, but it's the least we can do. Not just at Christmas, but all throughout the year I try to teach my kids to think of others. Even Jesus came to serve not be served. (Mark 10:45) The attitude of a servant can go a long way to avert selfishness in our hearts. I have found so many times when I was in the middle of a pity party to look for someone else to bless. It gets my mind off of myself so I get blessed when I bless them. It's a win-win! Anyway, here's a few pictures. 

Oh, and we decorate Christmas cookies! Look at that mess that I didn't feel like cleaning up! But I did it anyway! And actually had fun doing it!
Did you notice that Toby changed clothes? 



And here's a couple of random pics free of charge...







Comments

  1. We started something last year with Opie...every time he would say he wanted something for Christmas, we would ask him what he wanted to GIVE to somebody for Christmas. Oh and we always give him money to put in the Salvation Army bucket to help others have a nice Christmas. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts