Turning Over a New Leaf

Jumping in a pile of leaves is always more fun with your cousins!



The more the merrier!






It's 2013! There's just something about a new year that sparks a fire under some people. It's just another day on the calendar, but to some it brings about a feeling of a fresh start, a new beginning, a do-over. I personally don't make New Year's Resolutions anymore (because I am part of the majority of people who never kept them anyway), but it does inspire me to take a look at my life. After all, I just found out that January is named after Janus, the Roman god of gates and doorways, depicted with two faces looking in opposite directions. Not that I'm a fan of Roman Mythology, but it is a fitting time to look back on the past year to find areas in need of change and adjust some things so your future keeps heading in the direction you want it to. 

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

For example, I have dreams for my future and my family's future. I know that those dreams don't stand a chance of coming to pass if I don't lay the foundation for them now. This is a simple thing, but it is my desire to sing together as a family. I imagine my children coming home for the holidays and all of us gathering around to cook family recipes, share memories of the past and goals for the future, praying, laughing, crying, and  singing together as a family. That is why I have a folder of songs that I used to sing with the kids as a part of our school time. The kids don't particularly enjoy it so we've gotten out of the habit of doing it. This semester, however, we've dusted that folder off and set apart a time in our schedule for music. Is it their favorite time of the day? No, but one day they'll come home for the holidays with their own little families and singing those songs will give them a sense of family and belonging deep in their hearts. (And it will make their mommy smile!) 

Happy New Year everyone! 



Comments

  1. My brother once kicked me in the head as he jumped in on top of me in a pile of leaves. He was wearing cowboy boots and I had no memory of it later on when a huge bump formed on my head. No memory AT.ALL! Luckily my dad heard me yell when it happened and told me why I had the bump (the next day), 'cause I was starting to worry about a tumor! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts