I did it!

Warning: The following post contains statements that seem ludicrous to some people. Just take it for what's it worth and realize that the author is a little off her rocker. 

I love running. I really do. I love everything about it. I love the freedom of the open road, the chirping of the birds, and the smell of the fresh air. (Except when you're running at 6AM and the trash truck drives by. That is not pleasant.) I love the challenge and the opportunity. I love how runners have to mentally and physically fight for every mile they log. I love when I'm running past a little lady walking her dog and she yells, "You go girl!" Oh, and what's really fun is finding money in the middle of a run, on a street that I almost didn't turn on! Who says running doesn't pay?? I love running races with other people crazier than me that are dressed up like Cruella DeVil or a Dalmation. (Inside joke) I love inside jokes. I mean, who doesn't? I even loved getting LAST place at my first 5K. Now I can tell others when they are afraid of that very thing that I've been there, and it didn't kill me. It just made me stronger (wink wink). I love the feeling after I finish a run that I did not want to lace up for. I love the ice on my knees and the blisters on my toes. I love the smell of Icy Hot and the heat from my rice pack. I love learning when to push myself and when to rest. I just love running!

There's always excuses though. It's too cold (my personal favorite) or it's too hot. I'm too busy, or I'm too tired. My husband's crazy coaching schedule is too hard to plan around. I hurt my knee, so I guess I'm not cut out for running. My back gives me problems so I'm just going to lay around and do nothing. Those are just the ones that have come out of my own mouth, but I have concluded that running is a blessing. It is a blessing that I am so thankful that I get to do.

That's why I want to encourage other women to get out and do the same thing. It's relatively inexpensive compared to other hobbies, and the benefits are tremendous! I lost at least 10 pounds within the first two months just from running. I don't own a scale so I quit keeping track of it, but people ask me all the time if I've lost weight. I'm not even trying! I just want to be healthy, but the fact that I'm slimming down doesn't upset me! I have more energy and feel better. I'm sure part of that is a result of getting my thyroid in check, but I'm sure running adds to that as well. Mentally I am more calm when I run. Let's face it, I babysit a 2 year old boy 5 days a week. He's wonderful, but he's 2, and he's a he. Need I say more? Ok, I will. I have three kids, ages 3-10, of my own. Plus, I babysit two more after school everyday. I homeschool my 6 year old son and manage our household. My brain gets overloaded. My patience wears thin. I love my life, but it can be difficult for someone who loves her family with every fiber of her being but has also always loved to be alone...and quiet. Running is the perfect 'escape', for lack of a better word.

To encourage other moms, and to give myself some accountability, I started a running group on Facebook today. I invited a few friends and told them to tell their friends. I hope it becomes a source of strength and community. I am looking forward to new friendships, early morning long runs together, wearing group T-shirts to races (I know I'm weird), rewarding ourselves with coffee and cake occasionally, and all those mommy chats along the way.

Moms are awesome people. Dad's are too, but don't you know that Moms RUN This Town ?

Crossing the finish line at my first of many Turkey Trots. It was literally freezing.
I surprised myself that day by running the last two miles with horrible knee pain
 and still beating my goal time of 35 minutes by 2 minutes and 13 seconds!
Definite Thanksgiving tradition from here on out. 

   

Comments

  1. Ha! I just bought new running gear on Saturday. New shoes, bra, and ear buds. I'm ready to run...then it started raining! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts