John 14:12

Everyone is born for a reason. In a nation where over 50 million abortions have been performed over the last  40 years that fact seems more true than ever. Because of those numbers, I am aware of the possibility that someone reading this has either had an abortion or knows someone who has. So, let me say that I am not condemning anyone and, more importantly, Christ does not condemn you either. He can forgive you and heal your heart if you let Him.

Think about Moses. He was born at a time when the Hebrew race had gotten so vast in number that Pharaoh had begun to fear that they would rise up and break free from their yoke of bondage. His fear led to the killing of innocent baby boys. In the midst of that brutality a deliverer was born. He was preserved for a purpose. He grew up and was used by God to bring freedom.

Are you following me? You made it. It wasn't by accident. You were created first of all to worship your Creator. How do we worship God? It's not just when we raise our hands, bow our knees, or fall on our faces before Him. We worship Him in our daily lives by recognizing the moments He gives us to shine His light in this dark world. We worship Him with our actions. We worship Him when we take our eyes off of ourselves and ask Him to open our eyes to the needs of those around us, and then being bold enough to meet those needs.

I am trying to be better about that, but it isn't easy and it's rather uncomfortable. I believe that if we make the effort to try though, it is addictive. The reason I know this is because in the last month or so I have been asking God to give me these kind of moments to demonstrate His power, His love, and His compassion on people everywhere I go. 

I can tell you four times He has and I've recognized them but chose to ignore the "inconvenience." Who knows how many others I didn't recognize, but these four I know for a fact He was wanting to use me to reveal Himself to those specific people and I missed out. They missed out because of me. First there was the time we were driving by Lowe's and I noticed an old man walking at almost a 90 degree angle out to his car at the end of the parking lot. What IF I would have prayed for him like I felt led to and he would have straightened up to walk comfortably for the rest of his life? Then there was the time I was on my way to the grocery store and I saw a lady walking in the cold all by herself. As soon as I saw her I imagined myself immediately pulling over and giving her a ride, but I kept driving. The third missed opportunity was a guy I saw in McDonalds with a big growth on his neck. The thought popped in my head (from God?) to go pray for him and watch it disappear. If it wasn't God then what damage could I have possibly made by just praying? If it was God, everyone in that restaurant could have witnessed a miracle and souls could have even been saved because of it! Lastly, there was the crippled man in Walmart with sad, despairing eyes that I just passed by who could be jumping and leaping and praising God today. 

I can also tell you two other times since then that I have recognized, obeyed, and experienced the unbelievable joy of knowing I obeyed God. I shared the failures so I might as well share the successes. Besides, they aren't my success. God alone gets the glory. I am just the vessel who happened to allow Him to work through for once, or twice. I felt like I needed to send a card to a friend going through a tough time and was impressed to put some money in it. A few days later I got to hear a tearful thank you on the phone when she received it and was happy to find the gas money she needed but didn't want to ask anyone for. Praise GOD! Then, just yesterday I got to pray with a lady who gave her heart to the Lord! The greatest miracle of all! I am finally, after almost 15 years, getting a glimpse of what it means to bear fruit for God. I have a feeling that I have only discovered the tip of the iceberg though, and I'm so excited to see what else God has created me for. 

What has God created you for? I don't know, but I do know that Jesus promised that by the power of His Holy Spirit we could do even greater works than He did (John 14:12). I do know that nothing is impossible if we believe (Matthew 17:20). And I do know that nothing is too hard for God (Jeremiah 32:27).  So, in the words of my Pastor (at such the perfect time for me), "Don't miss your moment(s)!" 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I have more missed moments than seized moments I'm afraid. But I know there are more moments ahead just waiting to tip the balance the other way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts