November Daybook


Outside my window... is my favorite time of day, well my second favorite. The sun is just dipping down below the trees and my living room is full of those rays of sunshine with shadows of fluttery leaves. You know what I'm talking about? I love that! (My favorite time of the day is when that orangey sun starts to fill the house to say good morning.)

I am thinking... about the many people I've been praying for. People experiencing the loss of a loved one, the husband of one of my close friends recently diagnosed with cancer, a sweet old man from church who started the week with no clue he'd been a "walking heart attack" and is now enduring the recovery from quadruple bypass surgery. I could go on. I'm so thankful that my God is BIG ENOUGH!

I am thankful... for what I just said and for the season of thanksgiving! It is so refreshing to see so many people truly grateful and pondering their blessings. We are so blessed. 

In the kitchen... is a "hot mess" (I just had to, Tessa!). Seriously, my kitchen is disgusting. I should be in there washing dishes and putting leftover salmon patties, spinach, and mac n cheese away, but this is so much, what's the word I'm looking for, funner!

I am wearing... a short, pretty, flowy dress with black tights underneath. Now I just really need some fluffy boots to wear with it! 

I am creating... well, I'm planning on creating another Advent wreath. I bought the metal candle ring but now I have to decorate it. This is only our second year to observe Advent, but it was really meaningful and enjoyable for us as a family. One year I'm going to make Jesse Tree ornaments. I said that last year. I really am going to though, eventually. 

I am going... to take the teenagers to the Youth Fall Retreat at Discovery Camp alone this year because Football is still going strong at Yoe High. (Sad face)

I am wondering... why a guy is singing "Jolene" on The Voice.  

I am reading... The Bible...in a year this time. Maybe I'll actually finish it this time. The Bible in 90 days was a bit of a stretch for me. If I can't handle three or four chapters a day there is a problem.

I am looking forward to... seeing my friend, Christy, at her jewelry party. She's coming to the big city tomorrow! 

I am hearing... a train (again) and Seth munching on "cackers." Which, by the way, I'll feed those to him all night if he'll keep saying "tank oos."

Around the house... it's pretty quiet. Lorelai and Toby are in the boy's room waiting on it to get dark so they can have a movie night. 

God is showing me... that I am not in control. Newsflash, huh? I realized why I get so frustrated with the kids sometimes. It's because I can't control how fast they do something or if they do that thing at all. Don't get me wrong, there are times when a parent has to be in control, but He's teaching me the difference between the significant and the utterly pointless. How fast they get in the car is pointless. How long they giggle in their bedroom after lights out is pointless (and cute). Freezing in their tracks when mommy yells "stop" could very well be the difference between life and death. This may seem absolutely like common sense to most people, but it is a very freeing realization to me. I'm a control-freak and I didn't even know it until a couple of weeks ago. Now, when I feel my blood pressure rising, I ask myself if what I'm getting my feathers ruffled for is even worth it, and if it's not, I just laugh. I learned that lesson from a good friend recently. (You know who you are.) Her words spoke volumes to me. She said "I used to be so wrapped in anger and now I just laugh." Anger and laughter are both very contagious. It is not a good feeling to see your "at home" self being acted out by your kids in public or anywhere for that matter. I'm just being a little bit too honest here, but that's OK. We all know the saying about patience being something you have when people are looking is so true. God is so good and loving to not leave us in the ugly state we're in.   

One of my favorite things... the big purple dish washing gloves that Kristin introduced me to. LOVE them!

Quote of the day... "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." -Elbert Hubbard

A few plans for the rest of the week... Revival at our church this Sunday through Wednesday!

A picture to share...


I was playing around with photo effects and Toby called this one "SUPER SETH!"

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts