Many are the plans...

For the last two years since Nick starting teaching and coaching we've taken a little vacation in May while other schools are in session. Last year we went to Sea World and it was a ghost town. Every year on the second Thursday in May, C.H. Yoe High School gets out of school for "Yoe Day" to honor the family of their school's namesake. The students take flowers to their graves in remembrance of the couple who donated money to build the original school. The next day is a bad weather day and known as  "No Day." That means a four day week-end, which is a welcome break from the busy school year. 

This year we made plans to go to a cabin on Lake Livingston. I found out, though, that I can plan a vacation, but I can't plan the weather. On our way we swung through Franklin and visited Franklin Safari. It was there that I learned not to ever feed animals in a drive through safari again. The sweet little deer was lovely, but soon a huge horned beast invaded my window and all I could say was, "Drive away, Nick! Drive away!" He thought it was funny until I turned, and he saw the look of terror on my face as I spotted a camel running full speed down the hill towards us! Thankfully he got the window rolled up just in time, but by that time I was scarred for life. I prefer the pretty peacocks and fluffy mixture between a cow and Chewbacca (as Nick put it) in the petting zoo. 

     

Just as we were leaving it started to pour down rain. It was perfect timing. Next we were off to our second favorite pizza place, Cici's Pizza. It's hard to beat Ginno's, but I adore Cici's zesty pepperoni, spinach, and buffalo chicken pizzas. This is where Seth drank two cups of lemonade. That will be an important fact later on. Our next stop was right across the parking lot at Bahama Bucks where we had the best snow cones almost ever. I say almost because it's hard to top the stand in Rockdale. I'll think of the name later. I've had quite a few Fuzzy Navels with cream, and the place who's name is escaping me at this moment has the best, hands down.    




So, by this time you probably noticed that our three year old who has been potty trained for less than two months just drank three cups of liquid. We loaded up in the van for what I had planned to be a long quiet ride to the cabin with my boys sleeping in the back seat. What happened in reality was countless potty stops and the wetting of every outfit I had packed for the trip. Even his swim trunks and an outfit that belongs to the little boy I babysit that I happened to have in one of the seat pockets was soaked. Thankfully it wasn't raining when we arrived at our destination 2 hours later than I had originally expected. We went straight to the cabin, quickly got the floaties aired up, and put our swim suits on, only to find out that the pool was closed for maintenance. Lorelai said it perfectly when she tearfully blubbered, "I've been trying to stay positive all day but I can't be positive anymore!" 

Plan B was the splash pad, which was freezing cold on that cloudy, windy day. Plan C was the hot tub, which actually felt pretty nice. So, we hung out in the fitness room in the hot tub while Seth's clothes washed. The night was topped off with hot dogs and s'mores then a few rounds of Guess Who and Trouble in our perfectly quaint little cabin on the lake. 



The next day I wanted to rent a paddle board or kayak for some adventure on the lake, but the water was so rough and it still looked like rain so we passed on that and headed home early. We shopped, ate some more good food, and played Lazer Tag and Bowling. Overall, it was a great getaway with the family; even if it didn't go according to my plan. Imagine that.

"Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."
Proverbs 19:21

  




Comments

  1. Funny, it didn't go as planned, but sounds like a trip worth repeating. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts