It works!

So, I tried this new thing to get the kids motivated to do their chores. It's pretty simple...and cheap. I got these containers from the dollar store and used some pom poms I had in our craft box. They get a pom pom for every chore they complete and they get prizes at the end of the week. I also threw in two of my pet peeves, which are fussing at meal times and not taking no for an answer. If they can manage to keep their sweet smiles when dinner is placed on the table they get not one, but FIVE pom poms! Yes, it's that big of a deal. Same goes for taking no for an answer. This is tough for them when we're at church and they beg to go to Mimi and Papa's but for some reason the answer is no. I can't tell you how many times I have loaded up crying kids after church. Why do they do that? I have my theories but I won't go into all of that. :)


So, there they are. I told you they were simple! We've been doing this for a few weeks now and they are still excited to get pom poms. I have had to remind them to award themselves, but all it takes is a little reminder and they are eager once again. Lorelai has proven she can wash, fold, and put up laundry with only a little help from me. (She can't work the plyers needed to turn the dryer on! LOL) She has also been known to wash dishes for extra pom poms. It's great! But, here's the list of what I require from them.

Lorelai
Morning chores (make bed, get dressed, brush teeth) = 3 pom poms
Feed dog = 1 pom pom
Clean off/Set Table = 1 pom pom for each
Put up her laundry = 1 pom pom
Clean room daily = 1 pom pom

Toby
Morning chores = 3 pom poms
Clean off/Set Table = 1 pom pom for each
Clean room daily = 1 pom pom

Extra chores = 1 pom pom each
No fussing at meal times = 5 pom poms
Take no for an answer = 5 pom poms
General good behavior = 1 pom pom

They can lose pom poms for leaving chores undone or misbehaving, but I try not to do that because the whole point of this is to encourage them. If they get 25 pom poms in a week they get to pick an item from the "Treasure Chest" (aka a box full of dollar store goodies and coupons for extra pom poms, staying up late, extra TV show, video game minutes, Red Box movie, choosing supper and dessert, extra book at bedtime, ice cream etc...). If they get 50 they get a treasure chest item and $5 to save or spend however they like. 25 is pretty easy to get, but Lorelai hasn't gotten 50 since the first week. My house was super clean that first week! ;) 

Comments

Popular Posts